How can I buy bonds?

I wish to engage services to assist in my bond and banking needs please.

Comments

• You buy bonds via a stockbroker. Can you be more specific in what you need to know and clarify how much experience you have in this area? Bonds and banking are not the same and before you consider buying bonds you need to understand how they work and what the risks are. The links at the top of the page are a good starting point and perhaps you can then come back with any questions.
  • Thank you. I am about to separate my bond interests from my banking. My preference would be to find another bank which can do both but alternately I would need to appoint a broker but I have no such contacts.
  • The "Buy Bonds" link at the top of the page gives details of a number of stockbrokers and looks like it is up to date. I only have experience of using Selftrade to buy bonds although they are currently changing ownership which adds a bit of uncertainty. Choosing a broker is a very personal decision and only you know what is best for your circumstances.

There have been discussions about brokers before on this forum (I remember one about Selftrade). It may be worth you looking at some of these old threads although be careful as the information could now be out of date.
  • As they are not mentioned in the aforementioned list, I will also mention TDWaterhouse, iDealing, and YouInvest(formerly Sippdeal, aka A J Bell). All support normal trading accounts, ISAs and SIPPs as vehicles for self-selected holdings. All have reasonable pricing.

Also, I hold bonds with each of them. iDealing has the best trading screen, overall I have found YouInvest reliable and they have the bulk of my holdings, TDWaterhouse have a very wide range of execution venues (i.e. lots of markets) but in truth I have no use for this, so retain it out of inertia. Please note that some bonds are not quoted and you will have to ring the broker to get a price. Larger issues, e.g. NWBD, LLPC, tend to be quoted and tradeable in a similar way to an equity.
  • -- "Please note that some bonds are not quoted and you will have to ring the broker to get a price. Larger issues, e.g. NWBD, LLPC, tend to be quoted and tradeable in a similar way to an equity." --

Hi, I think that this is because NWBD and LLPC are Preference shares, not bonds. As for bonds, I use iii and Gilts are tradeable online, but most corporate bonds require a phone call, which is annoying. I've tried sending instructions via 'secure messaging', but even that isn't enough.